Thursday 9 May 2013

Day 16: Airlie Beach to Townsville

Odo: 15054, Day's KM: 319.8, Trip KM: 4072

We decided we wanted to make reasonable time through to Townsville so we were up early and camp packed up at a reasonable hour.  We headed towards the beach for a cooked breakfast at one of the local cafes.  The food was good, and we even got some, er, light entertainment in the form of a rogue umbrella causing chaos and destruction within the confines of the seating area.  Fortunately none of the patrons were in the path, though those adjacent did get quite a fright.

We chose to head fairly well directly to Townsville.  The only notable detour was via the Inkerman Hill Lookout, which had some pretty cool views of the surrounding area.





In the photo above, you'll notice I have my wet weather pants on over my kevlar jeans.  What I didn't know at the time (which I know now given I'm writing this post in retrospect) is that the rain was very light compared to what was to come).

We arrived, only slightly damp, in Townsville at around 3PM and had a late lunch at Subway, after having decided the kebab place we stopped at looked like a Townsville Mykonos (Hobartians will know what I mean), and the other places in the area looked too expensive.

Tim and I then parted ways for the evening.  Tim headed further north to Mutarnee to spend the evening with his grandparents, and I stayed in Townsville to catch up with Eliza Reid.

The campsite I picked happened to be right next to the Townsville RAAF base and right on Ingham Road.  Having set up, I did question whether or not it was a sensible place to have chosen, but it turned out not to be a problem.  The rain held off during setting up the tent and so everything remained dry, and there was very little noise during the night.  The planes started around 6AM the next morning, but that worked out OK because I wanted an early start to the day and was already awake.

After Eliza finished work, I headed around to her house to say hello.  We decided to go to a quiz night at the local pub with Margot, one of her housemates.  Cheap parmies were on the menu (and were quite alright too).  We managed to tie as round winners in 2/5 rounds, and we won the tiebreaker in one of those two rounds.  Our prize: a jug of beer*.  As I still had to ride back to camp and none of us were beer drinkers, we got a jug of lemon lime and bitters instead.

After the quiz, we returned to the house for dessert - rocky road ice cream.  We put some music on and talked for a while before it was time for me to go.  It was a nice end to an enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment