Tuesday 23 April 2013

Day 2: No easing in to it then

Odo: 11736 Klm's: 660.1
Spirit of Tasmania Terminal Victoria, to Merimbula NSW

The day started around 5:50AM, with the announcement of breakfast and the schedule for disembarking the Spirit. Last night I spoke to one of the tourism people on board, and decided to flee Port Melbourne without using toll roads. Not long after 6:45 I was off the boat. i collected my gas cylinder and made my escape.

As it turned out, the instructions worked well. No slow traffic or delays to speak of. After a short trip along the Princes Freeway, I pulled into a service station, removed the wet weather gear, and planned a slightly more scenic route.

The route I took today took me through Leongatha, Yarram, Sale, and on to Lakes Entrance for lunch. From there, I stuck to the A1 the rest of the way through Orbost, Cann River, Eden and finally to Merimbula.

I stopped at Leongatha for a stretch, just as it started to rain. Wet weather over trousers back on again... The rest of the morning presented annoying drizzle, wet slippery roads, and muddy spray. Not to mention roadworks.

The afternoon presented dry roads, slightly warmer weather, and more roadworks. I ended up getting in to the camp site around 5:45 and got the tent up with the last remaining sunlight.

I had an LED-lit dinner shortly afterwards, followed by a chat with another person in the park who also used to ride a BMW (a special edition K100).

Time to rest up and try out some of the new camping gear.

The mobile blogger doesn't seem to allow easy inline photos. I will briefly describe each one.

1. Stop off at a scenic lookout. I believe Wilson's Promontory is in the background.
2. Another lookout - this time to Lakes Entrance
3. Schrodinger's bike - it's in two states at once :)

Camp photos will come in the morning when there is some daylight to capture them.





No comments:

Post a Comment