Wednesday 6 March 2013

So, this trip then.

It's just under 7 weeks to go until this big 'Eastern Adventure'.  To be specific, 46 days, 22 hours, and around 30 minutes.  Not that I'm counting...

The idea of going on a big trip has been running around in my head for quite some time.  Probably ever since I got my current bike.  It's basically the same bike used by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in "Long Way Round".  Various things have kept me from going on this trip sooner, but now I have the time and the bike for the trip, and it's time to make it a reality!

My trip consists of 39 days on the bike, 37 of which will be on the mainland of Australia.  The aim is to ride up to Camerons Pocket, around an hour north of Mackay, QLD, for the Wintermoon Festival weekend.  For most, this is probably the middle of nowhere.  For me, I happen to have family living nearby.  While I am looking forward to the festival, it really is just an excuse to go on a big ride, and see a whole lot of Australia while I'm at it.

For the most part of the trip, I plan to camp wherever possible.  I've got most of my gear sorted out (more on that later), but I still have a lot to get done ready for the trip.  Mostly, this will be making sure that I have everything I need, get rid of everything I don't, and that I am physically and mentally prepared.

I am lucky enough to be travelling with a good friend of mine for a reasonable amount of the trip.  Tim is no stranger to long trips, having travelled all the way around Australia on a Honda Revere.  His experience will no doubt be invaluable for me, who has only ever been away camping overnight on a bike once.  Not sure what I'm getting myself into here, but can't wait anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment